Peer Tutor
About two years
ago, I was a peer tutor at my community college. I assisted other students in
gaining a better understanding in both microeconomics and macroeconomics. Getting
the opportunity to work with other students not only allowed me to aid them but
also helped to improve my interpersonal and communication skills. This was an
interesting job because it allowed me to meet new people and connect with them.
As a tutor in
the Learning Center at my community college, I
·
Assisted
students in their specific classes
·
Managed
the facility
·
Attended
mandatory meetings
In this memo, I
am going to explain and go into detail about these topics.
Assisting Students in their Specific Classes
Students would
come into the facility with questions, confused on certain topics or in need of
some clarification on their homework assignments.
·
Tutoring
sessions usually lasted for fifty minutes. During this time, the students were
allowed to ask anything related to the subject.
·
I
was not allowed to give students the answer immediately. I guided them in the
right direction so that they would be able to learn and understand the topic.
·
If
students did not understand a lesson in their class, my job was to clarify the
topic for them.
The days before
an exam were the most popular time for students to come into the Learning
Center and meet with tutors. Here is an example of a session that I had right
before midterms. One student came in with a study guide that was provided by
the professor and asked detailed questions about certain topics. We focused on practice
problems offered by the book to help the student better prepare for the exam. These
questions were also similar to the homework problems, so these were not new
questions that the student had never seen before. I thoroughly explained practice
problems so that the student was able to get a better understanding of the
material. My step-by-step method taught the student how to approach any new questions
on the exam.
Managing the Facility
Working in the
Learning Center required other duties besides tutoring. I was required to run
and maintain the Learning Center, which enabled the facility to run smoothly
and efficiently. All the tutors participated in all the required duties and
switched roles every week. Here are some of the other responsibilities we were
given:
·
Scheduling
tutoring appointments
·
Working
at the front desk, directing students and offering services
·
Managing
the computer lab
·
Renting
out textbooks and human anatomy models/study aids
Managing the
facility gave us an opportunity to do different things other than tutoring. I
was allowed to exercise and develop my leadership and interpersonal skills.
Specifically, working at the front desk allowed me to develop hands on customer
service skills. Our facility believed in offering excellent service and made
sure that every student was well taken care of. By performing these tasks, I
learned how important teamwork was. Every tutor contributed to the Learning
Center in order to offer the best experience possible.
Mandatory Meetings
Another
important aspect of being a peer tutor required attending mandatory meetings. In
these meetings, we discussed performance, upcoming events, small facility
changes, or other updates. One of the main points of these meetings was to
discuss:
·
Individual
performances
·
How
an individual can improve their tutoring skills by letting them know what they
needed to change
·
Giving
supportive advice to one another
Having these
meetings allowed individuals to better improve themselves, and also allowed
them to gauge their performance since we all strived to be excellent tutors.
During a certain month, tutors were required to give an evaluation sheet to his
or her tutee and have them evaluate their tutor. Here’s an example of the
process that I had to undergo. After finishing a tutoring session with a
student, I asked them to fill out an anonymous evaluation sheet. I then turned
in the evaluations to my supervisor. Once all the evaluation sheets were turned
in, the head of the Learning Center would read the evaluations. Based on the
evaluation’s, I would receive advice on what I could do better to improve and
what I was doing right.

Sounds like you have a lot of experience in tutoring and guiding students. I'll be sure to ask you questions in class if there's something I'm confused about. :)
ReplyDeleteI'm glad this experience allowed you to meet and connect with new people. I was a peer tutor at my high school and I found it a very fulfilling experience.
ReplyDeleteI could've used an economics tutor a couple years ago... have you noticed any difference in the way economics is taught at different universities?
ReplyDeleteI am planning on peer tutoring as well. Will probably need your advice sometime soon
ReplyDelete